Thursday, February 3, 2011

Migraine

Those of you who know me well, know that I've suffered with these for a long time now.  Sometimes I can go months with nothing and other times I'm hit back to back.  This week has been one of those latter times.  Because I was blessed with one yesterday morning at 1AM, the blog has suffered and will suffer again today outside of this quick and dirty note.

I can't begin to explain to you what it's like unless you've experienced them before.  There is just no physical description that will do it justice.  They are not just "a bad headache".  They are excruciating pain that makes even the simplest tasks impossible.  Moving your head, neck or shoulders, any form of light above pitch blackness, and loud noise just add to the pain.  Very little medicine is out there that really and truly helps.  The triptans do a great job, IF you catch them before they get too far along.  Otherwise, you are in for a day of hell.

I take several medicines as preventatives and that does help keep them at bay, but only for so long.  When they hit and the rescue meds are needed, you pray there is a dark quiet place to hide in for the next 4-8 hours.   When the rescue meds don't cut it alone, I've found that taking two benedryl helps to bring sleep, but only if it's not too bad.

So as I play catch up with my life the blog will take a hit.  I probably need some new material anyway.  The blog every day thing is a good goal, but a little unrealistic for me.  There are just so many hours in a day and I do like spending time with my family.  Besides, who wants to read crap about migraines anyway?  Those few followers I have come for the silliness that is my life and the stories that I tell.  I'm not about to lose them for some depressing pain recaps.

For those of you who have started following, thank you.  It means a lot that you come here in your busy day to spend just a few minutes with me.

So, until next time - peace out.

1 comment:

  1. I had migraines for ten years until I quit caffeine. Haven't had one in a year --- they are a beeotch.

    ReplyDelete